“Sometimes life invites you to dance, to sing, to open your heart & fall backwards into an arch, like a rainbow of light through the sky. Life is meant to be celebrated, practicing Upward Bow prepares us for, perhaps even guides us towards, these moments of ecstasy and joy.” – Courtney Bell
Upward Facing Bow (sometimes called wheel pose), is an intermediate/advanced backbend benefiting both mind and body. I find this is especially useful having spent much of my life sitting in front of a computer. Upward Bow gives length to the vertebrae, increasing your spine’s flexibility & strength. Take a moment… Interlace your fingers with your hands above your sit bones, now slowly raise your hands. Do you feel your chest opening and more air entering your lungs? Upward Bow opens your chest and strengthens your lungs (remember to BREATHE deep and forget the world around you).
Benefits of Upward Bow (Wheel) Pose
- Opens & Strengthens the chest and lungs
- Builds strong, toned arms, wrists, legs, buns and abs
- Stimulates the Thyroid & Pituitary glands
- Increases energy & counteracts depression
- Therapeutic for back pain, asthma, heart, mind & body